Brain Healthy Ingredients: Cold water fish, Cruciferous vegetables & dark leafy greens, Garlic, Olive Oil, Onions, Tomatoes Learn more
Mentally transport yourself to the Mediterranean while enjoying this gratifying combination of brain-boosting nutrients.
For even more brain-healthy ingredients add cucumber slices to the sandwiches
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 8 slices fresh whole grain bread
- 1 red onion, sliced very thinly
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cans albacore tuna in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whisk oil and vinegar in a bowl together with salt and pepper, and marinate onion slices and tomatoes in it for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub cut side of garlic onto bread and toast bread slices. Set aside.
- Remove tomatoes and onions from marinade and put into a larger bowl, reserving marinade. Combine tuna, capers, and spinach with tomatoes and onions.
- Divide tuna mixture among 4 slices of bread. Drizzle with a bit of the reserved marinade and top with remaining bread slices.