In Mental Map you will see a number of objects in a grid. Your task is to remember the location of objects in a grid relative to one another, and rebuild the grid once it has flipped, rotated, or translated, that is, moved down, up, left, or right.
Here is how Mental Map works:
- When you click START you will be shown a grid containing two or more objects. Remember their locations and orientations before they undergo one or more movements. Let’s try an easy level:
Here we see a Gas Pump and a Camping Trailer signs in our grid. Before you click/touch (in case of touchscreens) the ‘Next’ button, pay close attention to their orientation and location in the grid relative to one another.
- Once you click/touch the ‘Next’ button, the system keeps one of the objects, in this case the Gas Pump, and reorients the grid. When it’s done, you will see the other object, the Camping Trailer shown outside the grid. Your task is to drag it where it should appear in the grid’s new orientation as you see in the following two images.
More useful information:
- In this exercise, you have a limited time to respond.
You can also try the step by step instructions by clicking the ‘i’ button at the bottom right corner of the exercise screen shown below.
Note: When you try an exercise in a new level, the instruction mode is on by default. The way you can tell whether you are in instruction mode or exercise mode is to note the orange-color banner on top of the exercise screen which looks like the one below. You can always click on the ‘i’ to toggle between instruction mode and exercise mode.
As you progress, the exercise will grow more challenging in the following ways:
- Grid changes become increasingly harder
- More objects featured in grid
- Grid has more variations of object orientation
- Type of object sets used changes
Control buttons are found at the bottom right of the exercise screen. You can use these buttons to do the following:
- If at any time you wish to repeat the Instructions on a particular exercise, push the’ i’ button.
- If at any time you need to Exit an exercise, push the X button.
- If at any time you wish to Pause the exercise, push the II button.
- If you want to make the exercise Full screen for easier viewing, push Full screen button.
You may also visit the following page to learn more about this exercise