In Fine Tuning you will hear a syllable (speech is synthesized and not natural). You will then be presented with two increasingly similar syllables such as ‘ga & ka’, ‘dee & tee’, ‘et & ek’, ‘sa & sta’, etc. Your task is to identify what syllable you heard.
Here is how fine tuning works:
- When you click “START” a syllable will be heard.
- You will now be presented with two syllables on the screen for example ‘ga’ & ‘ka’.
- Press left or right arrow keys on your computer keyboard to select the syllable you heard, or click/touch the syllable you heard on the screen (in case of touchscreens).
More useful information:
You can also try the step by step instructions by clicking the ‘i’ button at the bottom right corner of the exercise screen shown below.
Note: When you try an exercise in a new level, the instruction mode is on by default. The way you can tell whether you are in instruction mode or exercise mode is to note the orange-color banner on top of the exercise screen which looks like the one below. You can always click on the ‘i’ to toggle between instruction mode and exercise mode.
As you progress, the exercise will grow more challenging in the following two ways:
- The consonant sounds will speed up.
- The syllables will be harder to distinguish between.
Control buttons are found at the bottom right of the exercise screen. You can use these buttons to do the following:
- If at any time you wish to repeat the Instructions on a particular exercise, push the’ i’ button.
- If at any time you need to Exit an exercise, push the X button.
- If at any time you wish to Pause the exercise, push the II button.
- If you want to make the exercise Full screen for easier viewing, push Full screen button.
You may also visit the following page to learn more about this exercise