In Sound Sweeps you will hear two ‘sweeps’ sounds one after the other. Each one can sweep either up from a lower to a higher pitch (‘weep’) or down from a higher to a lower pitch (‘woop’). Your task is to listen to these two sweeps and then indicate if they swept upward or downward in the correct order.
Here is how the exercise works:
- When you click “START” you will hear two sound sweeps.
- Listen carefully. Remember that there are always two sweeps. They could be both upwards, both downwards, first upwards and second downwards, or first downwards and second upwards.
- Next you will be asked to indicate the direction of the first sweep as shown below. Click or touch (in case of touchscreens) the up arrow or down arrow to respond.
- If your response was correct, the screen will change to allow you to respond on the second sweep as you see below. Click or touch (in case of touchscreens) the up arrow or down arrow to respond.
- If either your first or second response was incorrect, you will be presented with a new set of two ‘sweeps’ sound and continue.
More useful information:
You can also try the step by step instructions by clicking the ‘i’ button at the bottom right corner of the exercise screen shown below.
Note: When you try an exercise in a new level, the instruction mode is on by default. The way you can tell whether you are in instruction mode or exercise mode is to note the orange-color banner on top of the exercise screen which looks like the one below. You can always click on the ‘i’ to toggle between instruction mode and exercise mode.
As you progress, the exercise will grow more challenging in the following ways:
- The frequencies of the sweeps will change making them harder to distinguish.
- The time between each sweep will be shortened.
- Each sound sweep will be shorter in length.
Control buttons are found at the bottom right of the exercise screen. You can use these buttons to do the following:
- If at any time you wish to repeat the Instructions on a particular exercise, push the’ i’ button.
- If at any time you need to Exit an exercise, push the X button.
- If at any time you wish to Pause the exercise, push the II button.
- If you want to make the exercise Full screen for easier viewing, push Full screen button.
You may also visit the following page to learn more about this exercise